DAI Recruitment: Technical Director Public Finance Management (GFP)
Title: Technical Director Public Finance Management (PFM)
Location: Abuja, Nigeria with frequent travel, up to 75% of working time, to Central States (Adamawa, Akwa Ibom, Bauchi, Ebonyi, Gombe, Sokoto) and other locations as required.
The goal of the five-year (2020-2025) “State Accountability, Transparency and Effectiveness” (“State-to-State”) activity is to increase the accountability, transparency and effectiveness of governance in selected states and Local Governments (LGAs) in Nigeria. From the main project office in Bauchi, State2State is currently working in the following six main states, as well as a small project component at the national/federal level: Adamawa, Akwa Ibom, Bauchi, Ebonyi, Gombe and Sokoto. There may be an extension to other states, pending programmatic considerations. The overall goal of State2State will be achieved by supporting three mutually reinforcing development goals:
– Strengthen public financial management (PFM) systems that include public procurement, and how these systems are linked to better service delivery in three key sectors, namely basic education, primary health care and l water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH).
– Increase government responsiveness to citizens’ needs and priorities.
– Improve the capacity of government and civil society to manage conflict (through work on prevention, mitigation and reconciliation with the three sector partners mentioned above, not stand-alone assistance to the police or the judiciary) .
State2State will strengthen subnational governance systems in a sustainable way, supporting the efforts of local reformers and building on locally derived solutions, including, where possible, good practices and reforms that are already working well in other countries. other parts of Nigeria.
The PFM Technical Director will have both a technical leadership and business management role, directing and ensuring high quality and timely implementation of PFM technical activities across all project states. S/he will provide technical leadership to PFM specialists based in key states as well as intermittent consultants in specialist areas of PFM, and will travel to state offices to engage with stakeholders and State2State teams , working closely with state government structures through which technical assistance is closely coordinated.
In collaboration with State-based teams and Technical Advisors, the Technical Director will provide technical leadership of PFM technical assistance to recipient States, and this support will include new perspectives and approaches aligned with best practices and perspectives. cross-cutting issues such as gender. , equity and social inclusion (GESI) and conflict management. Ongoing and potential technical support areas that will be led, managed, or overseen by the PFM Technical Director include, but are not limited to, the following:
– Mentor team members and work with project beneficiary states and partners to update or complement participatory and bottom-up policy and planning initiatives such as state development plans (SDPs) and medium-term sector strategies (MTSS).
– Support the development and execution of annual state procurement plans that promote greater transparency, reduce risk and support effective service delivery.
– Facilitate capacity building in areas of PFM such as internal audit and the development of resources such as training manuals.
– Help design, develop and implement strategies to increase internally generated revenue (IGR) and public-private partnerships.
– Work in tandem with and manage, as required, technical staff and short-term technical assistance in support of PFM activities.
– Other tasks of a reasonable nature assigned by the team leader (COP).
Report : The Technical Director of Public Finance Management will report to the Chief of Party.
– A relevant degree in economics, finance, commerce, accounting, development studies or a relevant field required. MBA or other relevant master’s degree preferred; A PhD/PhD is ideal.
– At least twelve (12) years of professional experience, with at least seven (7) years of demonstrated experience in the design and implementation of interventions concerning the improvement of PFM. Previous experience in the design and use of the Public Expenditure and Financial Accountability (PEFA) framework preferred.
– Previous successful experience of working for or with government counterparts and/or community organizations to improve PFM, including taxation and fiscal decentralization.
– Proven skills in training, capacity building and coaching; networking and interpersonal skills; creative problem solving; conflict resolution and ethical management skills.
– Demonstrable experience in mainstreaming gender into PFM activities.
– Excellent written and oral communication skills; mastery of the English language.
– Computer skills in word processing, spreadsheet and presentation software (Microsoft Office).
To note: This is a local recruitment position for Nigerian Nationals of Cooperating Countries (NCCs) only.
Applications from women, people with disabilities and young people who meet the above qualifications are encouraged to apply.
Please click on the link https://reliefweb.int/job/3877269/technical-director-public-financial-management-pfm to apply or visit the DAI careers page at www.dai.com
DAI will only contact successful candidates at this pre-qualification stage. More information about DAI can be found on the DAI website; www.dai.com.
This recruitment is open until the position is filled.